Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Any New News?

I’ll let David fill you in, but we’re still crossing everything we have two of that this thing can go up in August. Added bonus: Michael Slaymaker will be able to help us with publicity if we go with August. Since he is basically the lord and god of all things fund-raising and PR, I believe that everyone feels that he would be a boon to our production.

Throw that bone in and we’ll see what we get.

Soup.

On other subjects – Cathy’s “superhero” nudie logo for SOTR – OMG David, I almost forgot all about it. But now that we’ve cut the nightmare scene, I’m not sure it makes as much sense. It’s cool you still have it though.

And I have the original cast list of the workshop a couple years ago somewhere – when I find it I promise to publish it here.

Another inspiration moment that is in Sons. I remember back in my junior year in college, when the Persian Gulf War was going on and CNN had 24/7 coverage. It wasn’t the war that gave me nightmares, it was that damn theme song and logo they threw up (regurgitated) onto the television screen every 5 minutes! My small Iowa college had the giant projector screen in the Student Union perma-set to CNN. I wanted to scream because every time I walked through the main room, that damn theme song was playing and that damn logo was burning itself into my retinas.

I started to remember all the stuff about “mediated reality” that I had learned in Modern Media class. I grew angrier. I read 1984, and in there, Orwell describes the same sort of mediated brainwashing. I felt like I was being manipulated. I wanted to stuff my fingers in my ears and scream with my eyes shut every time I got wind of the media covering the “conflict.” Isn’t it sad that the media can kill any concern I should have had with their “Chinese Water Torture” method of “covering the news”?

I would love to get some techie involved who can really bring this ridiculousness to light in a very funny way in our play. Someone really impressive in the technical area like Seth Kubersky (director of Theatre Downtown's recent smash production of The Rocky Horror Show). I think whoever blesses us by being a technical director would really be allowed to be creative with the music and projection (I hope) and sound effects, but I think the Newscaster scenes would especially be a blast.



Another thing to put on our wish list, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home